Saturday, November 13, 2010

Halfway

I really can't believe that I am halfway through my teaching adventure in New Zealand. I feel like I just got here, but also that I've been here forever.

This past week I had some opportunities to teach all day. Monday my cooperating teacher was out of the room all day so we had a sub. It was really nice to get the opportunity to teach all day and really feel like I was the one in control. The kids couldn't just go to Mr. Maharaj for something. It was all on me. I do feel like I have a handle on the classroom though, which makes me feel really good about my teaching skills. The one thing I struggle with is when students continue to push me to my limit. I don't know the line where I need to impose a consequence such as leaving the room, or even going to the deputy principal's office. I tend to let things slide, but I know I get to make sure that these instances where students need to have a consequence more that a teacher look and verbal reprimand that I actually do something.

I had a great day on Thursday! In the morning block I helped beth with her GPS lesson, where we marked 6 waypoints around the school grounds and then in groups they had to find each of the hidden spots. It was so much fun! I'm going to be doing a similar lesson with my class in a few weeks and I'm really excited. After they have found each station they will have some sort of activity to go with their Communication Unit. It will be a great hands on activity that I'm sure they will really enjoy. Then in the middle block my class had their technology challenge where they had to create 3 musical instruments out of recycled materials and then play them for the class. It was so much fun watching them work in their groups and use teamwork to come up with some really creative stuff! Some of the instruments were just a lot of noise. But we did have some really creative ones that actually produced semi-musical sound. And then in the afternoon, I gave a lesson on video communication where we discussed how we use video communication and whether or not video communication is always better. My kids had some really great points that I hadn't even thought about. We're considering having a debate about it later. Some thinkers I have! So all in all it was a great day at school. It really gave me a reminder about why I love teaching.

I also got to Skype with my kindergarteners back home yesterday. It was so wonderful to see them. I miss them so much. They were so cute. I was welcomed by lots of kids shouting at once things like "We miss you!" "When are you coming back?" "Miss Webster, I love you!" So cute! Each one got a turn to get in front of the camera to say hello. But they had to stand on a chair to do it since the computer was up higher. So I would be talking to one of my students and a few other ones were jumping up and down in the background trying to get in the shot. So I'd just see random arms waving in the background haha.

I also have had two great weekends since the last time I blogged. Last weekend the three of us went to Rotorua which is towards the middle of the North Island. We got in kinda late on Friday night, but then on Saturday morning we went down to Lake Taupo and bungy jumped over the Waikato River! 47 meters up! It was so cool. After that we went down to the lake and then we looked at Huka Falls on the Waikato River. Then we headed back into Rotorua to get ready for the Mitai Brothers show that night which would teach us about the Maori culture. That was really great. I'm glad I got to learn about that since I am in New Zealand and all. And lastly on Sunday we did some shopping around the town where I spent way too much money but I did get a lot of gifts so that is good. And then this weekend, I went on my own personal adventure around Auckland. I went to the Victoria Park Market and did some shopping there, then to an art gallery, then bummed around Albert Park for awhile, then walked around Auckland University, and then headed back to Britomart to make my way back to Swanson. It was just a cool day because I really was able to feel like I was apart of the city.

Well onto a new week. Swanson is getting evaluated this week by the Education Review Office (ERO) so everyone is a little on edge. But it should be a good week regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment