Monday, October 18, 2010

And so it begins...

Well here I am. In a new country. Things are different yet the same. We arrived in Auckland after an hour delay in LA and a 12 hour flight. Which would have been terrible if the flight was like our flight from Chicago to LA (cramped and uncomfortable), but really our flight to Auckland was as delightful as it could be. The food was delicious. For dinner (which we ate at approximately 3:30 WI time) we had a chicken pasta, salad and raspberry chocolate dessert along with a glass of wine. And then for breakfast I had a fruit platter (which was fresh and delicious), a muffin, yogurt, and tea. After I ate my dinner I slept for around 5 hours. Then I began to partake in the in flight entertainment. I first watched Sherlock Holmes, and then an episode of Big Bang Theory followed by How I Met Your Mother.  All wonderful. So really I have nothing but praise for Air New Zealand. 

We were greeted with open arms by our 2 host families at the airport and then drove home. Rachel, my host mom, took us on a walk around Swanson, which really is no more than a wide part in the road, but it is a nice little area, and then we walked around Swanson School. It isn't set up like any school I've seen in America. There are separate buildings surrounded by a courtyard/playground area. So you really have to walk to get anywhere in the school. Then we really just spent the rest of the day chatting with Rachel. Beth and Jan and Cory (her host mom and brother) came over and we chatted some more about our travel plans and such. Later than night we met Ken, Rachel's partner who is also very nice. But Kristin and I went to bed early because obviously we were quite tired.

Then Kristin and I got up the next morning to make our way to school. We picked up Beth along the way since she lives only a few houses away and walked to school (which is along only a few minute walk away). We met Rachel in her classroom and she introduced us to each of our cooperating teachers. I met my cooperating teacher and we began to talk about his classroom and how he structures it. The classroom is very set on routine and since I don't really know the routine yet I felt a little overwhelmed with the whole day. There are just those things that normally won't be upsetting/stressful, but when you are in a situation where you are out of your element and feel kind of confused, you can get quite stressed. But I'm sure that in time I will learn their routines and be able to follow along and help much more than I was today. Although I am still feeling a little anxious and nervous about school, I'm trying to stay positive and see it as a learning experience. I also keep reminding myself what Debbie Faase said in seminar that sometimes you learn the most by working with at teacher who you don't necessarily see eye to eye with in their teaching styles because you learn what you would change. 

All in all trying to look on the bright side of life (cue whistling). Kristin, Beth and I also planned a weekend trip for this upcoming weekend to Whitianga and the Coromandal Peninsula. We are very excited about that. We think we are definitely going to need that traveling excitement after a week of transition and exploration of our classrooms.

There are times when I still have to remind myself that I am in New Zealand! I still get blown away with that fact often. Truly incredible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment